Next week, the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) is holding the first 2 of 3 fall budget hearings, the first step in determining next year’s proposed education budget for the state. These hearings provide the early childhood advocacy community an opportunity to help shape the state’s Fiscal Year 2024 budget proposal. Please consider participating *virtually or in-person* in requesting a 20% increase in state funding for the Early Childhood Block Grant (ECBG).
Here’s how you can participate in the ISBE budget hearing process:
- Visit ISBE.net/BudgetRequestForm, and enter your name and contact information.
- Choose the hearing you’ll attend or select the option for submitting a written testimony. Written requests must be received by ISBE no later than Oct. 26.
- Under the “Add Program Request” drop-down menu select “Early Childhood Education”
- Enter $119,627,620.00 under the “Additional Requested Funding” section.
- Under the field that begins with “Please provide the Board with a description of your funding request,” you will need to put further detail on the 20% ask.
Upcoming Budget Hearings:
- Oct. 4, 4-7 p.m. CT (Virtual)
Registration deadline is Sept. 29
- Oct. 6, 4-7 p.m. CT (In-Person, Springfield)
Written funding request must be turned in by Oct. 4
- Oct. 24, 4-7 p.m. CT (Virtual)
Registration deadline is Oct. 20
Contact us if you plan to testify or have questions. Thank you for speaking up for children and families across the state!