Next week, the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) is holding the first two of its three fall budget hearings, the first step in determining next year’s proposed education budget for the state. These hearings provide the early childhood advocacy community an opportunity to help shape the state’s Fiscal Year 2025 budget proposal. Please consider participating *virtually or in-person * in requesting a $75 million increase in state funding for the Early Childhood Block Grant (ECBG) and to continue and grow the $5 million investment to improve inclusion supports for children with disabilities and developmental delays.
Here’s how you can participate in the ISBE budget hearing process:
- Visit ISBE.net/BudgetRequestForm, and enter your name and contact information.
- Choose the hearing you’ll attend or select the option for submitting a written testimony. Written requests must be received by ISBE no later than Oct. 31.
- Under the “Add Program Request” drop-down menu select “Early Childhood Education”
- Enter $75,000,000.00 under the “Additional Requested Funding” section.
- Under the field that begins with “Please provide the Board with a description of your funding request,” you will need to put further detail on the $75 million ask.
Upcoming Budget Hearings:
- Oct. 3, 4-7 p.m. CT (In-person in Springfield)
Must submit a written funding request online by Sept. 28
- Oct. 5, 4-7 p.m. CT (Virtual)
Registration deadline is Oct. 2 at 11:59 p.m.
- Oct. 30, 1-4 p.m. CT (Virtual)
Registration deadline is Oct. 25 at 11:59 p.m.
General Tips to Testify at ISBE’s Fiscal Year 2025 Budget Hearings:
- Use your time wisely as oral testimony is being limited to three (3) minutes per person.
- Be sure to personalize your testimony with your own perspective.
- Compose your testimony with an introduction, early childhood needs, the $75 million ask and conclusion.
- Use your own words as much as possible, for variety and authenticity.
Contact us if you plan to testify or have questions. Thank you for speaking up for children and families across the state!